Pictured are (L-R) Past District Deputy Fred Whitnack from Ridgecrest lks, Charter Member James Pryor, a WWII Veteran, and District Leader Donald Schultz from Victorville Elks. Charter member Pryor made a surprise visit to the Ridgecrest Lodge during the District’s State Vice President’s visit. It was 10 October 1953 that Pryor became an Ridgecrest Elk. This was the date of the first Lodge meeting. James Pryor along with Harry “Bud” Eyre are the only two Charter members living, and live here locally. We as Elks are always proud to receive a visit from either of these members as they enlighten us with wonderful stories of long ago, spanning nearly 61 years. The original Elks membership back in 1953 was a men’s only club with the women joining auxiliary clubs called the Emblem Club and the Ladies of the Elks (LOE). Both these lady’s auxiliaries still exist today, but under a 1995 Amendment to the Constitution to the Grand Lodge, women could become regular members of the Elks. Locally women members have stood strong and have taken a very large role in the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks (B.P.O.E.). Thanks to James Pryor and Bud Eyre for their years of dedication making the Elks a part of this community for 61 years come this October 2014.