After a very generous donation from a corporate children’s foundation, the Chula Vista Elks Lodge is proud to say that they will be able to give ALL of the third graders in Chula Vista a dictionary this year!!
With the largest elementary school district in California, Chula Vista has over 4,000 third graders in 45 schools. The Chula Vista Elks Lodge will present the dictionaries to the all of the third-grade students in the Chula Vista Elementary School District, in addition to two elementary schools in National City.
The dictionary provided through the Dictionary Project delivers a wealth of information for the students and teachers appreciate the variety of subjects covered throughout the many sections. Below is a list of some of the material found in the dictionary.
- Words for large numbers (do you know what 10 to the 100th power is?)
- Common Standard International Unit symbols (like km=kilometer)
- Standard International Factor Prefixes (so what’s 1,000 gigabytes called?)
- Periodic table of Elements
- Multiplication table
- Roman Numerals
- History of the United States Flag
- Basic Civics Lessons
- The Declaration of Independence
- The United States Constitution
- Bios of all the United States Presidents
- States of the US and statistics about each one
- Maps of the World
- Facts about each country of the World
- The Planets
- Sign Language
- The World’s Longest Word